Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Apples and Bananas - A story of Principle

Some people may say that I’m stubborn...

But I prefer to call myself...well...principled.

But, let’s just be honest. This “principle” I speak of, is really just my way to rationalize stubbornness in my own head.

To make a long-story short...I got out- “principled” last night.

And so the story goes:

The power was out in Old Jeshwang as I returned to the pad around 7pm from a good little workout at the gym-ish just down the road. With no food in the apartment, and no power to enjoy the cool and steady breeze of the fan, M.C. and I decided that the timing would be perfect to hop on the trusty ole’ pedal-bikes and head down to Kairaba Avenue to the “super-market” and fruit & vegetable vendors.

No issues at the super-market, as we left with our usual supply of yogurt, muesli, orange juice, bread, cookies, spaghetti, sauce, chick peas, kidney beans, and coffee (yeeeeeeeeees Nescafe Classic).

Now onto the fruit and vegetable vendors to haggle over apples and bananas...and tomatoes and cucumber, should our mood insight the purchase...we never even got to the vegetable conversation.

First stop was with our buddy (not our buddy) who situates himself just beside the super-market...Bananas: 40 Dalasis for 1kg...not too bad...manageable at the very least for bananas that look like they could at least withstand two-days of heat before falling to pieces (falling to pieces will here forth be referred to as “going bananas”). Apples: 15 Dalasis each...the usual starting point for your green apple here in Fajara, as “these apples (I have been told with great reverence) are brought in from Europe...no good, can’t go lower”.

Now, I have come to realize that no matter what vendors tell you...fruit is fruit...apples are apples...bananas are bananas...and in the African heat, nothing lasts.

I don’t care how “good” these apples are, I want to buy at least eight, and there is no way I am paying more than 25 Dalasis for two...that’s eight apples for 100 Dalasis. That was my request (I would take the kilo of bananas for 40...I just wanted eight apples for 100). Vendor says “no good”...I say “good bye”...and start across the street to the other vendor leaving M.C. standing there frustrated at my “principled” approach with our buddy (not our buddy).

Onto to vendor #2...

“How much for apples”, I say.

“15 Dalasis for one”, he says.

 “Two for 25”, I say.

“No good”, he says.

“C’mon...eight for 100”, I say.

He bags’em up. VICTORY...so I think...

“How much for bananas?”, I say.

” 50 Dalasis a kilo”, he says.

“The guy across the street is selling them for 40”, I say.

 “No, these good bananas”, he says.

“Bananas are bananas!” I say (at this point, I am going a little bananas).

“No, these very good bananas”, he says.

“Too good for me”, I say...and take off just as M.C. is arriving on the scene (In retrospect, I feel bad for leaving her in my dust once again...but I was blinded by “principle”).

Onto to the third attempt, around the corner at the actual fruit and vegetable market, rife with a dozen or so stands (re: lots of opportunity to engage in principled discussion and surely come away with fruit)

...to find it closed.

“I’m not going back to the first two”, I say defiantly to M.C.

Home, we bike...in silence...

At this point...Matty is unhappy—unhappy that I don’t have fruit, but too “principled” to easily ascertain said fruit.

You see, I was sure that upon walking away from the first vendor that he would call out and say...”ok...deal, bananas for 40 dalasis and eight apples for 100.”

Upon getting all the way across the street to the second vendor, I was CERTAIN that when I walked away from him he would call out and say...”ok...deal, bananas for 40 dalasis and eight apples for 100.”

I never pictured myself walking to an empty fruit market...fruitless...principled, but fruitless just the same.

At the end of the day for the cost of 10 dalasis—40 Canadian cents give-or-take—I could have enjoyed a nice (yet ever-spoiling) banana this morning with my muesli and yogurt...and a nice crunchy apple as I wrote this post.

But, at the end of the day, I stood on “principle”...Yes, despite this setback, I am able to look myself in the mirror and say “Matt...you are a principled human-being...And I am far too stubborn to ever give that up.

***

FYI: I’m headed down the alley as we speak to grab a couple bananas...I’m leaving my principle here at the computer.

Till Next Time...Don’t Stop Believin

Matty

1 comment:

  1. Ha ... more delightful than a Reader's Digest read whilst waiting for the dentist ... nothing better than a principled approach to life there Matty, especially when it comes to bananas. Got your back on that one.

    ReplyDelete