Sunday, November 28, 2010

On the Road Again

I’m back! Back from the road...again. This time, from a full week’s worth of entertaining and informing young and old alike in communities of the Upper River Region (URR). I was stationed in Basse—the hub of URR action and, as it turns out (despite its mere 300kms distance from Fajara), a long drive...try almost 8 hours. But, the drive itself is lovely, the “highway” is well-manicured, the scenery at times is breath-taking, and I got to take two ferry rides each way, as we criss-crossed the River Gambia heading up-country.

Sunrise at Georgetown Ferry on the River Gambia
Now, like my previous roadie, the purpose of the expedition was to educate and inform youth about the dangers of HIV/AIDS and empower them with the necessary Life Skills to live happily and healthily. This time, however, we were dealing with out-of-school youth (aged 20-45). Everything proceeded famously, although much of the training was done in the Mandinka language...of which I am still a basic novice in comprehension, oral and certainly written...but I’m learning!

The highlights of the trip for me, however, were the evening soccer training sessions (here forth known as “football”) at the local pitch...err sandlot, followed by the nightly presentation of NSGA’s community cinema shows put on by my partner in crime, Pa-Madou Sarr (NSGA Media expert and trainer). Each night, myself and Pa, with Uncle Sanna at the wheel would head into a different small village on the outskirts of Basse and set up shop with our two speakers, stereo system, projector and screen, to show one of the many dramas recorded by the NSGA drama troupers (these skits deal with a wide range of health issues including teenage preganancy and early marriage).

See video below. (Err...don't. I tried to upload a video, but the connection here is too slow. Just one of the challenges at hand)

To top the whole trip off, upon the completion of our workshops, the local Basse Youth Association hosted a friendly football match in which yours truly suited up (luckily, as I mentioned, I had been training throughout the week) and stole the show...well not really, at times I felt I was wading through quicksand out on the dust and dirt. I would be running to receive a ball on terre firma when all of a sudden the earth would give way and I would be ankle deep in sand. I kid you not, it’s a whole different kettle of fish from what I’m used to dealing with back home. But, I did manage to set up a beauty goal (long ball chased down by one of the many Speedy Gonzalez’s out playing...man these guys can motor) and at the end of the second 25-minute half we were knotted at two goals apiece.

Basse Red Devils...and white guy
There is lots more to tell about my time in Basse, but I’ll save those stories and offer a steady dose of blog action as this week passes...my treat to all you faithful followers out there.

Glad to be back at the homestead...M.C. and I indulged in a few JulBrew’s as we debriefed Friday down at the beach (M.C. had been in the Central River Region village of Somma) and then hit the “town” with a cluster of U.S. Peace Corps members celebrating the Thanksgiving weekend. 

So yeah, glad to be back in Old Jeshwang and connected here in Fajara...but to be honest...I can’t wait to get on the road again.

Till next time, Don’t Stop Believin.

Matty

***

Follow @Matty_TheGambia on Twitter for all your Gambian updates and thoughts.


1 comment:

  1. ... wait... which one are you in the picture?

    Glad to see you're posting... less than a month in an I thought you'd gone all canadatwentyten on us!

    ReplyDelete