Monday, November 29, 2010

Pakalinding

Hello all!

Since last checking in I’ve had the opportunity to part take in a few trips up country with the most recent one being to CRR (Central River Region). It was a full week in the field and took in two different 3 day workshops on HIV/AIDS and life skills for out of school youth. I travelled and facilitated the workshop with a co-worker and trainer from NSGA Abdou Kanteh. The week was full of learning and new experiences for me both in and out of the classroom.

First up-in the classroom. Abdou having come from the region was able to relate so well to both groups that we taught. There was a wide age range within the group from about 16-mid 30’s along with various different life experiences but the main thing connecting each participant was that no one was pursuing further schooling at this point. Some would have finished grade 12, some may not have, but all stood to benefit from information about HIV and AIDS and perhaps more importantly life skills such as critical thinking, decision making, emotion management, relationship and communication skills. The approach being that over the years there has been a lot of different initiatives around HIV/AIDS teaching and the general thought is that youth are aware of the risk and yet are still falling victim to HIV. Behaviour change is what is needed to combat this powerful virus and hopefully with teaching these life skills and empowering youth progress will be made in the fight against HIV and AIDS.

I did my best to contribute in the teaching of puberty, reproductive health and STI’s but there were a few obstacles. One-Mandinka (the local language). Although most participants could speak some English Abdou had to step in more than once to explain what I was trying to teach in Mandinka. I know it’s hard to believe but my own Mandinka is not quite up to par. Second-cultural and religious practices. This is a constant learning process. For instance- with regards to sexual health I had to avoid talking about condoms or birth control as they were not accepted within the communities we were working with. I also had some very interesting conversations surrounding female circumcision and early marriage. It is by times difficult to balance your own values and beliefs while attempting to understand another’s point of view.

Second up- Out of the classroom. As I mentioned Abdou was from the region (Pakalinding) and therefore I got to meet and spend lots of quality time with his immediate and extended family at their local compound. I can’t say enough about how welcoming and giving Gambians are. This was constantly displayed by his family and friends. They embraced me the moment I entered. Kids wanted to just be close to me, hold my hand or play with my hair. It is a strange feeling to have your every move watched with so much amazement. I should say most of the kids wanted to be close to me. There was one little girl (Abdou’s niece) who was absolutely terrified of me. She had never seen a white person before and would scream in terror when I entered the room. This went on for about 5 days but then on the 6th day I made a breakthrough. Over dinner I caught her glancing at me from across the bowl (communal eating) and she actually smiled. I of course smiled back with much excitement.

One of my favourite moments included the dance circles that we would have mid afternoon. One of the younger girls would grab a water bucket and a few sticks start the drumming, the clapping and signing would follow. Eventually the elders would drag me up into the center of the circle and songs about me would start. There were a lot of chants like “Dance Toubab Dance” (dance white girl dance) I was initially rather shy and red as a beat but eventually broke out some classic Connolly moves handed down to me from generations of phenomenal dancers.

All in all it was a week I will never forget! I was however pleased to get back to our apartment that has quickly become home and hop on the new bike and head for the beach. A tough life I know...

Until next time, stay fit and have fun!

Mary Catherine

1 comment:

  1. Too bad we couldn't see a video of those Connolly moves!! Now that would be something... Missing you!

    ReplyDelete