Monday, November 15, 2010

Road Trippin with my two favorite allies

So...I taught what essentially boils down to Sex Education (haha, me...teaching SexEd) and Life Skills Development to in-school youth, this past week, in the rural village of Sintet—about a three hour drive east of Fajara—in the Western Region of The Gambia. 

Saddled-up with my two favourite allies, Jerreh Manneh (NSGA drama trouper/workshop trainer) and Uncle Sanna Sanyang (NSGA driver), I spent three nights eating, bathing, socializing and sleeping as would your common Gambian villager. All the while, doing my best to impart a small nugget of knowledge to 30 students, grade 6 thru 9.

(*Note: in this group of grade 6 to 9ers, we had a young girl of 12 years, as well as a young man of 19 years...it is not uncommon to see a 16 year old in a grade 6 class)

Was this an experience? Yes. Was this an eye-opener? Yes. Do I now view the work being done by the NSGA in a different light? Yes. Was I glad to get back to my homestead in Old Jeshwang? Oh, yes!

Educating these youth about what we would view as common and universally accessible skills and attitudes about sex, STI’s, HIV/AIDS, as well as the development of critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills; proved to be a exercise in constant repetition, simplification (and re-simplification) of ideas and, at times, frustration at the inability of these students to grasp even the most basic of concepts. My whole view of education as a practice has been destabilized (which I consider a healthy and progressive phenomenon--Yeeeeeeees post-modernism) as I found myself having to adopt a whole new approach to my presentation methodology—i.e. abandon my favoured use of implicit messaging in favour of explicit direction. The concepts we were teaching (concepts fundamental to healthy living) were in some instances completely foreign to these teenagers, as were critical thinking and proper decision-making skills. The education needed to be basic...and at times I struggled with the simplicity. But, I’m learning...I'm learning.

Then it hit me: This is why the work done by the NSGA is no necessary. Not only is it important in any environment for youth to be knowledgeable about their bodies and about healthy living. But, health education and social empowerment is VITAL to the future of The Gambia. These kids NEED this opportunity. And, let me tell you, despite the lack of knowledge or ability to grasp it...these kids CRAVE the opportunity to learn. And, to witness that, is inspirational. Although they may still have a sharp learning curve to climb on the road to proper health and social awareness, these kids will come away with an immeasurably positive learning experience at the conclusion of the three-day session (Did I mention that Day 3 of the workshop was on a SATURDAY...yes, a SATURDAY...and they were all excited to be up early and at school).

No doubt, the learning that was afforded to them last week will lay the groundwork for future knowledge and leadership growth, giving them a better grasp of the concepts that were taught. With proper reinforcement and practice, these youth will develop into confident and intelligent citizens, ready to contribute to the health of the country. It is what it is: EDUCATION FOR SOCIAL CHANGE

Jerreh explaining a "trust" activity to workshop youth

***

The out-of-school experience, while on this trip, was also an EYE-OPENER for me, as I was privy to a whole new ritual of eating. Over the three days I ate two meals daily, which consisted of a communal bowl of corned beef and onions for breakfast (scooped up with a loaf of bread), Benechin (rice with some meat) or beef stew for lunch (eaten with bare hands—although I was graciously offered a spoon to feed). Similar to the experience of the youth in understanding the various health concepts, this process was completely foreign to me...and honestly, a tremendous experience. And, no longer will I ever consider my shower at the apartment temperamental. In fact, M.C. and I are quite fortunate to have a shower tap at all. For my three days on the road I “bathed” outdoors with the goats and chickens using a single bucket for the entire body. What I’ve come away with is this...we waste one hell of a lot of water taking showers back home. One bucket...it does the trick just fine.

And, above all, when your in the company of good people (my two favorite allies--Jerreh and Sanna) live is worth the living.

Eating with Uncle Sanna and our two Teacher Coordinators

***

Till next time folks...Don’t Stop Believin

Matty  

FYI: CRIBBAGE UPDATE: Matty leads 7-2


1 comment:

  1. The idea of the sentance "proved to be a exercise in constant repetition, simplification (and re-simplification)" in teaching sex ed just brings the picture to mind of you in front of a class of "The Gambians" (is that the proper term, you were so adament about the "The" before you left), making inappropriate hand motions and them just sitting there scratching their heads.

    God bless ya, you're doing good work!

    (PS. Check your Twitterfeed settings... I never see the posts come up)

    ReplyDelete