Friday, November 5, 2010

Welcome to the Smiling Coast...c'est chaud

So, we made it! And, finally made it to the internet...well internet that didn't cut out before I got the chance to sit down and write (I did manage to read the 100+ emails, last night, circulated by the Wanderers boys, and then abruptly had the internet cut out at La Parisienne).

So, this Friday evening, as I enjoy a JulBrew (Gambia's finest), I send you all my best regards and assure you that I have not spared a single bead of sweat since landing down at Banjul International Airport Tuesday at 6pm. Yep...it's hot, c'est chaud! The apartment that M.C. and I have so lovingly been installed in by our Gambians friends is wonderful, lots of space to sleep, relax, and even a kitchen to cook and keep our food refrigerated...but there is no escape from the heat monster (which I have just now named). We've got three fans rolling at full blast when we are home and still, I'm wiping my forehead constantly and hanging clothes out to air at any opportunity. It's hot. It didn't, however, stop this engine from tying up the jogging shoes and taking to the streets late this afternoon to give the bod a little shock treatment. I survived.

I suppose I should just clarify a little, our location here in The Gambia. We are not actually in Banjul, we are southwest about a 15 minute trip from Banjul in Fajara/Serrakunda...key thing...it's closer to the beach. We are on the coast, and from our front door, it is about a 40 minute walk to the accessible area of the beach...and IT IS STUNNING...and hot. The name of our neighborhood proper is Old Jeshwang, a cozy little hood rife with the schools, the market (right across from our place) and a juvenile prison. It bustles by day, but by night, the trusty L.L. Bean headlamp comes on as the place goes dark (but you can see the stars, which is great). Most important of all, MOM and DAD, it is safe. We take the "highway" in towards the office or towards Kairaba avenue (where I am right now), which is the main business road in Fajara. Kairaba runs from the ocean for a good clip, and it full of restaurants, supermarkets, clothing stores, cellular providers and really the whole gamut.

As you can all see, I am a bit scatter brained at the moment, as this is really the first opportunity I have had to connect to the world back home...and it is overwhelming. The things we sometimes take for granted...

As time passes and M.C. and I get better settled I will give you a better idea of what life here in The Gambia is like. Lots to talk about: Toubasky(?), bucket showers, "The Street Light", the NSGA, and much much more.

For now, I'll leave you all with this: we are safe and sound, happy and healthy...and smiling...I mean, this is the Smiling Coast :)

Till next time, Don't Stop Believin! 

Matty


3 comments:

  1. Yess sweat, yess beach, yess bucket showers, yess L.L. Bean headlamp, yess Old Jeshwang, and yess JulBrew! This suits my vicarious needs. One thing, however, be certain to use the newly termed "heat monster" in appropriate contexts. All the same, yess heat monster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to look up what a JulBrew was and it looks some tasty, you'll have to smuggle some home.
    Hope all is well, I google mapped your area and it looks nice.
    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, good ol' bucket shower. Dems is fun... Jerri

    ReplyDelete